Thursday, April 14, 2011

Now You've got your lasers on me



The song is written from the perspective of a song. "Lasers" in the title is an obvious reference to how data is read in a CD player, so, the statement "now you've got your lasers on me" is basically saying, I am what I create. Among other things, it was a reaction to reviews/criticism I was getting for my previous album "pass the time machine", and my live shows. When you put yourself out there, peoples reactions arn't always that great and in order to save myself from reacting, I wrote this song.

The song centers on this idea that a recorded medium, like a CD or mp3, saves me from ruining it, because once it becomes a CD or an MP3, I can no longer change my mind about the things I've said. and so when you criticize me or my song, there's really nothing I can do about it at this point, because it's done. so in a strange way, when I finished a song, I saw that as freedom--freedom from choices and the feelings I sung about.

But there is some sarcasm and sadness in there too, because as it turns out, my inability to affect a song after it's released, means, no matter how much I change, I will always be held up to my words in these songs. No matter how much time has passed, or how different I am, the songs are always me. Comparable to tattoo's, of which I have none.

Musically, it's heavily influenced by Depeche Mode. Unlike earlier works, this song is a clear attempt at writing "synth-pop", rather than just writing songs with synthesizers. The lead was written first. its a descending arpeggio of Cm, Ebm7 (maybe, it's like a broken chord) and G. The breakdown in the middle was probably written from just me screwing around, but in retrospect, it sounds mechanical and somewhat like a factory pressing a CD.

I hadn't heard the song in so long, I forgot that Leah sang on it.

"Now you've got your lasers on me" was the first song written for "Walter Carlos" and much of the album has this tone of being music about being a musician, which I guess is mildly meta. I would like to eventually--pointlessly release this album on vinyl.


1 comment:

  1. Haha. I forgot Leah sang on it too. eventually/pointlessly made me laugh too

    ReplyDelete