Wednesday, October 24, 2012

DC Voltage Distributor

The more you learn about electronics, the more you can figure out how to modify a circuit to suite your needs.  I'm beginning to understand what an amazing resource Music from outer space is.  Although the circuits are all designed around ±12v, some of them work with ±15v without modification and others can easily be modified to work with ±15v (what my system is).

So I built this DC voltage distributor. 
This circuit actually requires no modifications to work with ±15v.  A DC distributor circuit is ideal for using a single control voltage source to control multiple modules without loading the incoming signal.

when a signal is split into separate paths, the voltage stays the same but the current is divided.  A buffer circuit relays the voltage through an op amp, but the current is supplied from the power source, rather than the signal source.

 It's basically an input with 4 buffer op amp circuits.   I assembled the circuit on a breadboard first--tested it with my modular power supply, then assembled 2 of them on perf boards and finally mounted them for my module.

Here's the module in my system (3rd from left on bottom row).  I can now send a single gate signal to my ADSR module to shape my VCA in addition to sending the gate signal to my slew limiter circuit and then on to my VCF.  (in a pinch, a slew limiter can be used as a minimal envelope generator.)


I also found this module to be helpful when I was testing the module I made after this, my joystick controller.  having a buffer circuit that you can plug into immediately, helped me diagnose the problems with my joystick circuit. I needed buffers to keep the joystick circuit isolated from the loads I was plugging into it.  



No comments:

Post a Comment