Thursday, February 7, 2013

Variable Inverting to Non Inverting OP AMP amplifier

This is a pretty simple but useful circuit I put together.  It's basically a variable inverting/Non-inverting amplifier.  When the pot is all the way left, the signal is Non-inverted.  All the way right, it's inverter. the center has no output.  I designed the circuit to mimic a property on my Synthesizers.com State Variable Filter module. From I can tell, it works exactly the same.  I was surprised when I tried searching for an op amp set up that would do this, I couldn't find one.  I probably just don't know what its actually called.  Anyway, here's the design I came up with.
I used a 741 to test it out. 
In this video, I used it on my Filter with a triangle wave.  as you turn the knob, the signal attenuates all the way to 0, which is about center,  then it begins inverting 

4 comments:

  1. First visit to your blog, good work! Picked up some handy tips too! I've been playing with electronics for years but never really understood it till I read 'There Are No Electrons', by Ken Amdahl, I'd really recommend it, very different approach.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to keep my eye out for that.

      Delete
  2. I just learned how to make one of these yesterday! They're actually called 'attenuverters'. There's about a million different ways to make them.

    ReplyDelete